Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Strut bar and anti roll bar

3rd September 2008

These are among my first upgrade for my Perodua Viva 1.0 EZ. Among the many reasons I choose to do this are because I want to improve the car ability for a bit on high speed and more stable to take my favorite corner. As many has guessed, Perodua Viva high speed and cornering ability is a bit floaty. Well these bars does not eliminate these floaty feeling but it helps a lot to reduce it and hence more confidence to step on the pedal a bit more.
Several people will ask me why not opt for a good set of suspension? Well my Perodua Viva was meant for my wife to drive. She wants comfort more than a stiff absorbers and springs. So I do not want my ears to be pulled every time she meets with potholes and road bumps. ;)
So I opt for these bars so that I can maintain the comfortness. Please bear in mind that OEM is the best in terms of comfort and reliability.


The strut/ front tower bar on Perodua Myvi

The strut/ front tower bar on my Perodua Viva
However being a car enthusiast, my hands always get itchy to undertake minor upgrades. Using these bars is not my 1st time. Since I already used it on my Perodua Myvi, so thru my previous experience I chose to use it on my Perodua Viva also. :) 

Can easily diy for installation. Provided your car is not lowered as you need to slide under the car body.
Truthfully there are several types of bars that are available in the market now. Those are steel, aluminium and carbon fiber. Well for now I can only afford steel bars from UR Ultra Racing ® (Malaysian Made). Each has their own secret ingredient (technology and theory) to works. Choose wisely as some strut bar or tower bar can cost as much as MYR 600! For example is Dsport brand. Made in Japan.

I choose steel bars is because it is more rigid and less flex compare to aluminium bars. Nevertheless there are debates in car forums regarding this topic. Well I choose it also because it cost a lot less than those Japanese counterpart products and they WORKS!

First let me share the function of a strut bar. For me the strut bar really helps to further enhance my Perodua Viva ability in high speed. Now I can speed on highway with confidence and I do not feel floaty as the speedometer reached 120kmh. After that speed you’re at your own risk. (Please drive safely and do not speed during high traffic hours! :) )

While the anti roll bar is installed at the back under the car body is to assist the car overall cornering ability. This is because whenever a car undergoes a corner you can feel that the car is leaning to one side causing understeer which is common for FF cars (Front engine, Front wheel drive). You can always feel this at roundabout too if the car is being drive fast at those roundabout. Adding this anti roll bar will help reduce the leaning effect but does not eliminate it because the car body still need to flex and give driver input on the car movement.

For me, these 2 bars really work hand in hand and compliment each other. Actually there are several of other types and brand of bars that can be installed to any car. Of which have its own function, advantages and disadvantages. Therefore as a user, we have to fully understand the need of each bar. If not, it’s going to be a waste of money and add more weigh to your own car.

Another advantage for these bar are also to help in strengthening the car chassis and MIGHT help to save your life during an accident. (Hopefully we’re not going to encounter such incident.)


Now we’re going to talk about the disadvantage of these bars. Among all disadvantages would be that if you ever encounter in an accident and the chassis is badly mess up. The workshop will not be able to restore it. Go figure…
Furthermore, these bars also will add weight to the car.
More weigh equals to higher fuel consumption. :)

My advise is go for a more reliable brand and proven to works. Always remember to save money rather than spending it twice just to change the same parts.

I have tried the cap ayam brand (chicken brand) which is made from aluminium for the strut bar.
Trust me, there is only a bit improvement. That is if you can feel it. However these strut bar and anti roll bar from UR Ultra Racing ® really improves how the car reacts and handle.

The cap ayam brand aluminium strut/tower bar
Shhh…some manufacturer can also custom made any bar if u cannot find one for your car. Well for that you have to dig and explore further in World Wide Web.

My next upgrade will always be to upgrade my suspension. Yes, I know in my early comment was that I want to retain comfortness but I have source a suspension system that can give better handling and performance while still remaining comfortable for daily use. I am aiming for a set of Titan adjustable. They’re well known to custom made one for any cars and up to customer preference. But a set will cost a bomb. If it can retain the comfort and provide good handling all together I’m willing to save up and go for it. Since now I’m the proud owner of this Perodua Viva. My wife rarely uses this car anymore. ;)

Below are some links that might be useful for more information and how these bar works.
Always do your own research before venturing to chassis stiffening upgrade as nowadays there are many ways to do this. All you need is kachinnnng! ;)

Until next time…cheers!




Have fun guys…



4 comments:

Ag Muhammad Zakie said...

thanks for the ino... really appreciate it... :)

Sze Khai said...

THKS FOR SHARING BRO... juz wanna know hw much did this mod cause you ?

Perodua Viva 1.0 EZ said...

last time the front/strut bar was RM 135 and the 16mm antiroll bar was RM280.if i remember correctly.tq

Unknown said...

Bro, I'm driving Myvi 1.5 Extreme. I'm totally clueless about these bar thing, but I really want to reduce my car's body sway during hard cornering. So installing rear anti-roll bar will reduce it isn't it? But how about the front? Why don't install front anti-roll bar also? Or the car already have an original front anti-roll bar? Or installing strut bar is enough for the front?

Labels