Sunday, January 8, 2012

ATF Cooler y'all!!!


The position of my ATF cooler
Ever wonder why is the auto gear unwillingly to change gear even when you stomp on the pedal? Usually at night/ cold weather I do not seem to face this problem. My guess is because the auto transmission is being stressed too much plus the hot Malaysian weather especially during high loads. This eventually will increase the fuel consumption due to wrong gear selection by the gearbox. Installing an ATF cooler for the auto transmission will hugely help to overcome this issue.

Eventhough I am using fully synthetic gear oil form Redline ® for my beloved Perodua Viva I still find the lack of power and sometimes have to down shift manually to overtake or going out of junction. However with fully synthetic gear oils I never encounter gearbox overheating even during hard acceleration or downhill. :)

Heat seems to be an enemy even for auto gearbox. Thus I find installing an ATF cooler for the auto gearbox is essential. Normally sometimes it could get so hot throughout the day. Especially with the scorching hot weather in Malaysia throughout the day. Furthermore I can be assured that my gearbox will last longer and reliable when I need it the most.

The 5 row ATF cooler with the ATF hose and clamps

Items needed for this project are ATF cooler, ATF hose for about 5 feet long, 4 clips and a bottle of ATF to top up the fluid later. I bought the ATF cooler from the halfcut shop, it is a five rows ATF cooler, I do not know from which car model but cost MYR 100.

For this project it is crucial to use ATF hose in order to withstand automatic gearbox pressure. Use of wrong type of hose can result the ATF to leak out. Later I might find my gearbox losing ATF and that is the worst case scenario.

Info from: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-parts/towing/equipment/accessories/transmission-coolers1.htm

A few tips before installing this ATF cooler are to ensure not to lose pressure to ensure the longevity of the auto gearbox. This is by choosing a small ATF cooler (5 rows is good enough for my standard auto and small cc car) and proper length of the additional ATF hose. If not I might stress the gearbox to pump the ATF.

With the installation completed. I start the engine and put my hands on the ATF cooler. Within a few seconds I can already feel the warmth flow of the automatic transmission fluid (ATF). I guess it should work properly and do it purpose for extra cooling. :)

To show where the hose are connected

Red Arrow- ATF from radiator, Blue Arrow- ATF to gearbox

The ATF cooler is snugly concealed behind the bumper.

Transmission coolers help to extend the life of the transmission fluid thus can prevent transmission failure and overheating.

Each 20°C drop in operating temperature, the fluid and equipment life doubles.
Installing a cooler before damage starts and by reducing the transmission fluid temperature by as much as 60°C can greatly extend the life of gearbox. Installing a transmission cooler can also prevent transmission burnout.
 
End result, now with the ATF cooler in place the gearbox is more responsive and sensitive at any throttle position. This makes me drive my car similar to driving with manual gearbox now. Heavy right foot generates high fuel consumption. :( I just cannot resist it!!!

That is all for now... :)

*************************************Flashback***********************************************
I used to remember when I was a kid, people always tend to avoid buying automatic transmission (AT) cars. We used with mindset that it is troublesome to maintain AT, high fuel consumption and expensive gearbox if it is broken! Even now AT is considered as one of the most expensive part to replace in a car!

However now everyone is more inclined with AT cars. Maybe because the increasing cars on the road that create massive traffic jams. For manual transmission car this is really a challenging situation.

Well this is one way to protect the most expensive part in my car!
*************************************************************************************************

14 comments:

Mohamad Yazid said...

Bro...
Aku tak mahu komen tentang tajuk yang telah kau posting tu ' ATF Cooler'. Aku nak antar email tapi tak tahu kau punya email address. So aku gunakan ruangan komen nie untuk berhubung dengan kau.

Aku pun pakai Viva 1.0 Ezi standard, masalah aku aircond viva aku tak berapa sejuk waktu siang, tengahari lagi teruk, berpeluh2. Malam ok je. Ramai juga orang komplen Viva aircond tak sejuk.

So, macamana dengan Viva kau, aircond sejuk ke? Atau kau ada buat modified apa2, share lah ...

email aku ialah
myazidbiz@gmail.com

Tq

Perodua Viva 1.0 EZ said...

bro, berapa mileage kete skang ni?maybe dah sampai masa utk servis aircond, tukar minyak compressor dan tambah gas. setakat ni aku dah balut aircond pipe kat kete dgn insulflex.boleh beli kat kedai aircond.dah pasang extra kipas condenser kat depan.tp aku tak upload lg citer pasal benda2 ni sebab ada satu lg projek aku tertangguh.iaitu nak servis aircond dan tambah minyak aditif utk aircond aku.tp setakat ni aircond kete aku masih lg sejuk siang atau mlm wlaupn dah melebihi 90k km...

Simon Chong said...

Hi Bro, i really like your blog. I recently bought a kenari and planning to change the ATF oil by myself. Any suggestions? they said it is not easy to change as you need a long pipe to refill the gearbox. Can I install cooler on my ATF like yours?

Perodua Viva 1.0 EZ said...

hi simon, its fairly an easy job to change atf oil.what i did was i just use what were readily available at my backyard.which are funnel(cost less than rm5) and aquarium hose(free, coz my backyard happen to have it).then stuff the aquarium hose to the funnel and done.just make sure the hose can fit into the atf dipstick to refill your atf.job done.

yes, kenari also can install atf cooler.but i am not sure whether it is the same like viva.might need to consult your foreman for further clarification.

Encik Azizan said...

hello bro...found ur blog when google about atf cooler kit for viva...

i want to install atf cooler kit for my upcoming viva auto but i scare if this thing will void my car warranty... so can u tell me if this thing will void my warranty...? tq

jasma brand is around rm 300...dunno if the price is ok o not.

Perodua Viva 1.0 EZ said...

anything u do to your car will void the warranty.for warranty issues u may need to refer to perodua for more accurate info.
if u do want to install atf cooler, u may search for cooler from hayden.
jasma for rm300 is expensive.hayden is more establish brand for atf cooler.the decision still up to u.cheers.tq

Encik Azizan said...

thanks for the tip...how much will hayden brand cost me...? it bundle with he host or i need to buy it separate...?

Perodua Viva 1.0 EZ said...

hayden shud cost less than rm400 depends on size.the small type shud be more than sufficient for viva.well...the hose, u might want to buy extra.coz i dun tink it will be enuf.if u do buy frm hayden, it shud include hose, clips and fittings.myb u can check out mudah.my for more info.

Nor Azam said...

Why gearbox viva easy to damage.i just replace my gb oil last 2 weeks.now my gb have a noise n my car didnt move.how much to repair or replace with recond gb?

Perodua Viva 1.0 EZ said...

bro nor azam...its hard to comment about your problem.not sure how much is the price to repair or change gearbox.sorry bro..

Anonymous said...

Hi Bro just read your post after install ATF cooler.. My car foreman install jasma 13rows cooler for my viva,but i saw you only 5rows if i used 13rows cooler will stress the gearbox to pump the ATF?

Anonymous said...

hi bro, I just read your blog after install atf cooler. my foreman install 13row jasma cooler to me. but i saw you viva only used 5 rows cooler.. if i use 13rows cooler will i stress the gearbox to pump the ATF? i'm viva auto driver too. thanks for you advice for later comment.

Perodua Viva 1.0 EZ said...

it depends, but 13 rows is a bit too big for my liking.however a few of my frens using the jasma atf cooler doesnt faced any issue.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your reply. Ya I think don have any problem since already using 4months. Because I didn't found any issues like leaking.

Labels