Tuesday, March 1, 2011

CAI using PVC Pipe- DIY Style!


I started this project as a gift for myself for my birthday and that was on last February. However it was stall due to work. First of all let me explain what is CAI. CAI stands for Cold Air Intake, is a device use to draw cold air from outside the engine bay preferably from the front. A lot of people use this method to ensure the car is more powerful even during hot day. It is also the most popular method that is believed to increase horsepower and increase your mileage. Well no harm for me to try it.

There is abundance of aftermarket product for CAI. From only the hose sold in the market and accessory car shop to those aftermarket replacement kits which could cost to thousands of ringgit. Unfortunately the complete kit is usually available for those bigger displacement cars. Most people would use those PVC hose sold in the market as it is easily available. However there are none for Perodua Viva.

Before I start this project I try to gather as much information in the net on how it is done and what are needed. Most people just use those silicon hose. Well I did try it from my left over after doing CAI for my Perodua Myvi. Due to the lack of space in the Viva’s engine bay…it was nearly impossible to use the 3 inch hose. :(

Never want to give up, I tried messaging a few Perodua Viva owner that has successfully useCAI. One of them replied and suggested using PVC pipe to custom made the CAI. Indeed it just uses a small amount of funds and some creativity. After consulting him for a few times (including pictures provided) I finally understand on how to custom make a CAI for my Perodua Viva.
On 26th February 2011, I visited hardware store to get those PVC pipes. Already did a sketch to ensure I did not forget to buy anything. Total cost was RM11.70.

At the moment, this project is a disaster due to it popping out of the air box mouth. Still trying various ways to make sure it is sturdy. One of it is to screw it to the air box…but I want something that can be dismantle if it does no good. I tried using cable tie but still not successful. Need to dismantle the bumper again, but have to wait until I am at my hometown. This is due to incomplete tools in my hand now and currently living in apartment.

***New update, finally i manage to hold the CAI in place by using 3M double sided tape. Until today there is no more issue the CAI popping out of the air box...


4 comments:

sam said...

hey.hi.i just want to ask how many inch that pvc paip that u have used.wana try but dont know which type of pc should buy.i very appreciate it if u reply me,thanks.

Perodua Viva 1.0 EZ said...

a)pipe with size 40mm.
b)90degree (L Shape)
c)45degree
one feet of the normal pvc pipe that can fit the 40mm pipe size is enuf to hold every piece of pipe together.

Anonymous said...

Hi is there any problems so far with this diy installation? I thought of making one for my Viva too but I'm afraid of the CAI sucking in rain water..

Perodua Viva 1.0 EZ said...

when i used it there was no problem of water being suck in or hydrolock.
however i m now on an open pod set up.hehehe...

Labels