Saturday, March 26, 2011

DIY Cleaning Throttle Body


This time I would like to share on how I clean the throttle body of my Perodua Viva. Firstly locate the throttle body in the engine bay. Then trace the six bolts that attach to the throttle body. Only need a size 10 and 12 to open these bolts. Plus need an extended wrench to open the bolts that are hiding at the throttle body because the normal spanner cannot reach those bolts.

The tricky part is to remove the throttle cable. I just pull the lever (to open the butterfly valve) in order to loose the cable so that I can slide the cable head out of its position. Then I loosen the nut closest to me on the throttle cable.

The bolts and nut location
After that was done, I just disconnect the hose and sensor clips attach to the throttle body before I remove the throttle body slowly and carefully.

Having to remove the throttle body, I begin to remove the entire sensor on it before I get excited to douse it with carburetor cleaner and brush. Soon I spray some carburetor cleaner (sold at any spare part or hardware store- cost around MYR20) at those stubborn stain and brush it using old toothbrush which I no longer use.

The air flow sensor that require some cleaning after some time.
I was not able to take the picture of the end result due to my hand is already dirty plus I am running out of time to pick up wife from work. Hahaha!

The before and after result. Sorry for low quality picture.

Maybe next time I would do it again properly and take picture until end of the procedure. By the way, it is fairly an easy DIY once I get to know how to take out the throttle body. Thanks to a DIY thread in Myvi Motorsport Forum that has a step by step process with picture and good explaination.
Fyi:
http://myvi.com.my/forum/index.php?topic=13897.0


P/S: I hope I name all the sensors/devices correctly. To those who are more learned, please feel free to correct me. Cheers! :)

No comments:

Labels