Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Engine Oil Review

This time I would like to write review on engine oil that I have used for my Perodua Viva other than the Perodua Engine oil. When I first sent my Perodua Viva for service outside, I used the Eneos 5w30 engine oil. That time the price is around MYR 110 for 4 liters. Not bad, the engine is quiet and cold start has improved (faster warm up during cold start). How do I determine this? Well, Perodua Viva uses hot and cold indicator. During cold start up in the early morning, the blue light goes out less than 2 minutes. Well, I changed it around 8k km.

After Eneos, then my hand got itchy to try the fully synthetic range from Redline with viscosity 5w30. Nevertheless before that I use Pennzoil 10w30 mineral base oil for around 1k km to actually flush the previous engine oil. Do not really think I can review much on that engine oil. Just use it for a while then change to Redline 5w30.
Redline 5w30 engine oil is also not bad plus I can change it every 10k km. It also made the engine more smooth and improve cold start just like Eneos 5w30. However I guess it should yield better result than Eneos since Redline is from the highest grade of group for synthetic - Group V with polyolester base. From my experience it provide superb protection even during high rev. By using this I also find the car can really be push during higher speed with less harsh sound and the engine seems willing to go even further. Unfortunately the road condition is not that forgiving for such speed. Drive safely guys and girls. :) Incidentally, I got 3 summonses for speeding when using this engine oil. :( It really was tempting. By the way, 1 bottle cost MYR 50 for a quart (946ml).

After a while I decided to try something else. Since there was a really good promo from Verv Lubricants, I change to semi synthetic oil again. From Verv Lubricants, I choose to use 10w30 engine oil this time. Since I have registered as member with Verv Lubricants, the engine oil cost MYR 79 including Bosch® oil filter and courier. This time I actually wanted to try out Extralube ZX1 Micro Oil Metal Treatment®. Just add to engine oil to provide better protection to all critical, frictional engine parts. The verdict is, it is a really good choice for people with limited budget. Not bad but of course cannot compare with previous engine oils I have used. However I found that the engine takes more time to warm up during start up when using this Verv 10w30. It takes more than 2 minutes for the blue light to goes out during cold start in the early morning.

The metal treatment I wanted to test out.
Guess what?  The metal treatment used in the engine oil does not change the engine oil to perform like high performance or fully synthetic engine oil. The engine will still feel heavy when reaching its lifetime. Using a good quality engine oil is good enough and adding an additive to it if you can afford it. However I can be assured that the engine is well protected by using this metal treatment. Of course this product I use never did give any mumbo jumbo promises. The seller was very informative and helpful thus the urge to try it out.
Sometimes I wonder why some product of engine oil additive is said can make your engine oil to perform like a high performance or fully synthetic engine oil. They even recommend the usual/mineral engine oil can last up to 20k km before needs changing if using their engine additive.

Notice that I never relate to FC (fuel consumption) because it really depends on driver. From my personal view, 5w30 engine oil will actually give better FC compare to 10w30 even though they are semi synthetics. At this moment I can just conclude, Eneos 5w30 engine oil is good and Redline 5w30 engine oil is the best I have tried. Redline engine oil is for performance motorheads. That is all for now. :)

7 comments:

Unknown said...

good review

Perodua Viva 1.0 EZ said...

thanks...

Mohamad Yazid said...

Salam,,

Boss, Viva pakai minyak engine berapa liter.. ada kat website kata 2.3L - ada yg kata 2.5L - ada yang kata 2.8L.

Baru2 nie saya service Viva, pomen masukkan semua 3L minyak engine, katanya ok, tkde masalah. Saya bimbang juga kesan jangka panjang.

Perlu ke saya buang sedikit minyak engine tu..

TQ

Fred said...

Where to buy Verv Lubricants?

Anonymous said...

Tuan cuma cek sukatan minyak motor oil (tarik stick..), jika masi diantara paras max-min...tidak menjadi masalah...

Anonymous said...

bro, nk tanya cket. mana bro beli rm50 redline 5w30 oil tu?

Anonymous said...

Maaf mencelah. Pasal minyak enjin terlebih ni sebenarnya saya dah lama buat macam ni untuk kereta saya Proton iswara 1.3(M) 2002 & Perodua kancil EX660 2006. Sebenarnya tak ada perbezaan pada prestasi enjin, malahan enjin lebih tahan lama dari segi kehausan. dan baru2 ni juga saya baru membeli Perodua Viva 850, dan pun saya uang habis 3 liter dalam enjin, tanpa sebarang masalah. Jadi jangan risau, enjin saudara tak akan rosak, malah akan tahan lebih lama dari kehausan emjin. p/s: Ini petua saya, kalau sudi boleh ikut. Iswara saya dah berusia 14 tahun, 260,000 km, masih mampu pecut 160km/j. Enjin standard je, tak pernah modified apa2. (ala2 standart teksi gitu - tapi pecut mencanak).

Labels