Monday, October 4, 2010

Car Detailing Work

During my free time...i love to wash my Perodua Viva myself. Give the car the proper pamper and care. :) I would like to share the right way to wash car.
This is what I do to help protect my car paint and reduce small scratch or swirls mark on the car. If done thoroughly and correctly, I can get that showroom finish and make the car paint shine like new again.  :) Nevertheless it will take hours of hard work and patience.
First step is to wash the car with proper car wash shampoo. Usually the typical car wash use abrasive washing detergent to your car. So try to avoid washing your car too often at car wash. Sometimes Malaysian weather can also be harsh to car paint work. This is why regular waxing of my car paint is essential to protect the expensive paint work. For me, it is expensive. I’m a small fish only...
Even so before I can proceed with polishing and waxing, I have to prepare my car paint and make sure the surface is clean and spotless. This is to avoid any tiny particles and debris that eventually will scratch the paint work and make swirl marks while doing polishing and waxing. I clean the paint surface by using clay bar. Yes, it is almost identical like that play-doh for kids. For those who do not know what it is, it is clay which I rub/run through the car paint work while pouring some water to ease the movement. This is because this clay will capture those stubborn marks and small particles. So it will be a bit resistance due to its ability to absorb those stubborn stains. Washing alone is not enough to get rid this stubborn particles. This is why at times you can see swirl marks and small scratch after a hard work of polishing or waxing if you did not clay after washing the car. If I did not clay...the surface will feel rough and got small particles. Always rub/feel the paint surface before and after claying.
This is what clay look like. Bought it with the polish from PG. Now I am using clay from Soft99
P/S: If I am super fussy and have lots of time. I will wash the car again...hahaha!
Later on I rinse the car body using a good quality chamois. For me I chose Meguair’s chamois towel. It is very efficient to clean the wet car surface. :)
After I have make sure I clayed the entire car body. I will proceed with polishing it. As everyone might know polishing is actually a bit abrasive and will clear any small scratch or swirl marks. So it will also remove any previous coating/ waxing done to the car paint work. This is why I do this at least 3 times a year. 
This is what I use to polish my Perodua Viva. That time it comes with the clay bar together as promotional item.
After polishing, I will make sure I wax the car also. This is to make sure the paint will has a thin layer of protection.
I polish and wax it using the same technique like the in Karate Kid movie. ;) Buff in, buff out. Wax in, wax out. Doing it in round and round, in circle movement. I also make sure the car is under shade or not expose to direct sunlight. It will help to preserve the paint color.
Then I am done…Fuh, it really is a hard work and time consuming task.
My step by step car detailing work:
1)      Wash car with appropriate car shampoo.
2)      Use clay to further remove small debris or particles to prepare the paint for next step.
3)      If I am super rajin, I will wash the car again. If not I just move to the next step. :)
4)      Rinse the water using high quality chamois towel. (I love the Meguiar’s chamois.)
5)      Polish the car. (every 3 months)
6)      Next step is to wax the car. (every month to help maintain that glossy look)
7)      Done.
8)      After that next time I just need to wash the car for maintenance purpose.

Here’s another tip…You can help to maintain the paint gloss by applying quik detailer every time after wash. (I’d choose product from Meguiars ®)

The result....hehehe...
Cheers!

5 comments:

azlan said...

bro, joinlah kami di http://forum.autoworld.com.my/index.php?showforum=5

Shopping Corner said...

bro, pakai wax brand ape bro?

Perodua Viva 1.0 EZ said...

dulu pakai turtlewax jer.skang ni lyn meguiars quik wax...hehehe.

Maratak Atek said...

can use plain water as lubricant for the PG clay bar?

Perodua Viva 1.0 EZ said...

i use to just use water as the lubricant.however a few detailers inform it might coz your paint work to have swirl mark.rite now i am using ONR dilute with water and use it as lubricant.

Labels