Wednesday, October 13, 2010

DIY soundproof for FOUR doors

9th October 2008

Ingredients for today:

  1. 2 piece of superlon (size 3ft x 4 ft x10mm)
  2. 1 roll of soundblok
  3. Scissor
  4. Marker pen
This is what I do to make my Perodua Vivas’ doors sound more solid when closing the door. The normal door will usually have the sound of bare metal (empty can or we call it Milo can sound. Hehehe!). Moreover I can hear noise from outside clearly and it can be very noisy and annoying combine with the engine noise. It is always sensible to do soundproofing to try to insulate the noise as well as heat from outside. In addition with the Malaysian weather, it can be so hot some times. Well the green house effect is becoming nastier every year.


Let me share what is needed to make soundproofing more effective and less cost. If done at accessory shops, they will charge around MYR 250 for 4 doors for single layer. Well single layer means that the plastic door panel is insulated only using foam (either insulflex or superlon).

Well I bought myself 2 piece of superlon from zerotohundred forum. There is a guy selling it with nick name Ninja_Iga. Got a few sizes but I bought the size 3ft X 4ft with 6mm thickness with glue at the back, cost MYR 35 a piece. However 1 piece is enough to insulate 2 doors only…so I bought 2 piece of superlon in order to insulate all 4 doors so total was MYR 70.

At first I ordered the 10mm thickness superlon. However I find it difficult to install back the Perodua Viva door panel after sticking the 10mm superlon. It was actually leftover from my previous project insulating my Perodua Myvi. Therefore I change with this reliable seller for a set of 6mm superlon instead. He agreed to change 1 to 1 provided I did not cut the sheet of the previous superlon I bought before this. He is really a great seller…

This how it look like after sticking the superlon at door panel.

Later on I bought those bitumen strips called soundblok (made to insulate car) also from a seller from zerotohundred forum nicknamed Huakenny. Although I cannot remember how many metres were used…but if not mistaken more than 10 metres. :) The cost for 10 metres is MYR 120.

Soon after that I start my soundproofing project…

Firstly need to take out the plastic door panel from the door. Begin with removing 2 screws, one at the door handle and another one at door holder. Then slowly try to pull out the plastic door panel from the bottom part. There are 6 clips at the door panel if I remember correctly. After all the clips are taken out…push the plastic panel upward a bit to take it out.

To stick the soundblok, requires removing the plastic covering the door metal frames. It can be a little messy since it has adhesive. So be extra careful. After that I simply estimate and cut the soundblok to stick at the door metal.
While doing this, at the door…there actually has this kind of soundblok on it but it is so small. No wonder the doors sound harsh and empty. 

OEM soundblok on front doors only

The bitumen strip/soundblok sticked to the door.


Full soundblok at the door.

The result was superb…door sound more solid when closing and insulate the noise from outside fairly. Well to fully soundproof my Perodua Viva need to do the floor and roof also for better sound insulation from wind and engine noise.

My next target is to insulate the roof…this is because when raining it is really noisy and cannot even listen to the radio. Erm…if only I know how to open the roof panel…

Total cost to insulate 4 doors with 2 layer is about MYR 200.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Perodua Viva 1.0 EZ said...

thx :)

Somebody Baik Hati said...

wow..nk pasang..kos pasang beape siap upah?murah2 sudah,,

Perodua Viva 1.0 EZ said...

hehehe...sori bro..buat kat kete org tak berani la...
kalau takat kete sendri takpe la...huhuhu!

Isaac said...

that's an interesting post...
I approached it this way though, as I think the floors made the biggest difference to cabin noise.
Check it out
http://rubbernmetal.blogspot.com/2011/08/soundproofing-perodua-viva.html

Perodua Viva 1.0 EZ said...

hi Isaac, nice blog u haf there.yup...it'd be better/satisfying to do full soundproofing.however it is time consuming.and i dun haf the place to do it.i'm residing at apartment. :(
it was in my plan to at least soundproof the roof also.however it has been long overdue.

Labels